search collections
browse collections Up

Alpine, Tennessee photographs and clippings

Object Type: Folder
In root of archive


View Gallery

Title
Description
Date

 A photograph of Alpine Grocery.

1992

 A picture of the roadside historic marker denoting the location of the Alpine School. It reads, "Organized by Dr. John L. Dillard on top of Alpine Mountain in 1821, the school was moved off the mountain after the Civil War and named Alpine Institute. A. H. Roberts, later governor, taught there in early 1890s. The school was revived in 1917 by the Board of National Missions of the U.S.A. Presbyterian Church. The elementary school in 1936 and the high school in 1946 were turned over to Overton County."

A picture of the inside of Christ Church Presbyterian. The beams were brought from a firehouse in Cincinnati that was being torn down. The transfer of these beams to Alpine from Cincinnati was arranged by Dr. Jesse Halsey, pastor of the Seventh Presbyterian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio.

1992

A photograph of Billy Cole, Jr., acting postmaster, in front of the Alpine Post Office.

1992

Altar in Christ Church Presbyterian with a wooden cross sitting between two candle and behind a bouquet of flowers.

1992

Photograph of a stained glass window at Christ Church Presbyterian dedicated in memory of Billy Halsey.

1992

A dedication and memorial plaque that reads, "These stones are preserved to the glory of God and in memory of Dr. Denton Norris and Banis Norris, alumni of Alpine Institute. The wall stones are from the faculty residence and the three front floor stones are from the main school building here in Alpine. The bench stone is from the original mountain school. Erected 1990."

1992

A photograph of Christ Church Presbyterian in the distance. The only thing visible through the bushes and various shrubs is the church's bell tower.

1992

A photograph of the front entrance and left side of Christ Church Presbyterian.

1992

A picture of the outside of Christ Church Presbyterian.

1992

A photograph of the gymnasium that is on the Alpine Institute campus. It is now used as a community center.

1992

A photograph of the wooden sign for Christ Church Presbyterian. It has the Sunday school and worship service hours hanging from it.

1992

A clipping of a photograph that shows the exterior of Floyd Broom's country store.

1930s

 A photocopy of a paper that gives information on a few of the photographs included in the "Alpine, Tennessee photographs and clippings" collection. A substantial portion of the typed information is exed out, indicating that the information is not included in the photographs.

1992

A photocopy of a paper that gives information on a few of the photographs included in the "Alpine, Tennessee photographs and clippings" collection. A smaller portion of the information is exed out and it tells information like the origin of the beams in Christ Church Presbyterian.

1992

Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2022